Monday, January 24, 2011

Trusting God day by day

The past couple of weeks have been awesome and God is teaching me so much.  Two weeks ago, Marvin Daniels taught us situational ethics.  We had a lot of discussion time in groups and also the last day we were given 6 different situations and say whether we agreed or disagreed and then defend our beliefs.  It was a really neat experience.  The thing that Marvin said that stuck out to me the most is that we cannot know what we are to do until we know who we are in Christ.  There are a lot of other really good quotes that Marvin told us that I would love to share with you guys:
“Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have the right to do and what is right to do.” – Potter Stewart
“The principles you live by create the world you live in; if you change the principles you live by, you will change your world.” – Blaine Lee
“The leaders of the future will be those who dare to claim their irrelevance in the contemporary world as a divine vocation that allows them to enter into a deep solidarity with the anguish underlying all the glitter of success, and to bring the light of Jesus there.” – Henry Nouwen
Then last week Randy Weeaks came and taught us about parables.  He also spoke to us the last day about the different generations and what we’re called to do.  Not only did he have some amazing insights, but his passion for the Lord and for teaching and for those around him was inspiring.  I loved having him here because not only did he teach us, but he was truly interested in getting to know us and investing into us.  He blessed us Wednesday night with a pizza party complete with teaching us how to two-step.   I realized while studying the parables that I have not been reading my Bible as thoroughly as I should, there were so many things that I just glance over and that causes me to miss so many great truths, so I’m being convicted to spend more time in the Word, not just reading it but really figuring out what it has to say.
My internship has been going great.  I fall more in love with those kids each and every time I’m with them.  It is so cool to see the potential in some of these kids and to see the roles they have even at such a young age.  It has also been really cool to see how strong some of these kids are in their faith despite the struggles they are going through in this world.  As we study the book of James in Precepts, I am reminded of the trials these kids have, struggles I never would have dreamed of going through at such a young age, and yet they put their trust in God and they do consider it pure joy as they go through these things.  How cool to see how much I can learn through a bunch of K-4th graders.  One boy in particular is in 1st or 2nd grade and man does he know his Word.  He tells us each week what he is learning in the book of James (yes, this little boy is studying the book of James all on his own) and he isn’t afraid to tell the other kids what he is learning.  He is memorizing God’s Word and hiding it in his heart.  He is able to distinguish false teachers at other churches that he has been to.  I’m convicted that if he as a 1st or 2nd grader can be so committed, how much more can I be doing these things? 
I had a little bit of a meltdown Thursday night/Friday morning with just anxiousness about what God has in store for me next year.  I have an idea of what I would love to do, but I don’t know if that is even a possibility.  I really don’t know what God has in store for me and the unknown kind of freaks me out, but I have to remember that God is in control.  I’ve devoted myself to praying for wisdom for the future every morning and every night and I ask that you would be willing to pray for that with me.  Also, continued prayers for my financial situation as the rest of my tuition is due as well as my last Israel payment and I don’t know how I’m going to pay all of it other than that I know that God will provide in His timing and how He sees fit.  Continued prayers for my friends Jessica and Kent as Kent is now at his FOB in Afghanistan.  Also a praise that I got to share a girls night with a bunch of great Institute girls at my cabin in Arkansas.  Another praise that my family and some family friends are coming to visit me in about a month.  Also, in just over a month I will be in Israel, I can’t believe it!  Pray for safe travels and that my heart will be open to all the things that God wants to show me while I’m there and that it will change me for the better in ways that I could never expect. 
Thank you for your continued support and please let me know how I can be praying for you.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment